A scholarship essay is a type of narrative essay that aims to show why the individual writing it qualified for college financial support. There are various financial aids available, such as a federal program or state aid, college grants or even community aid. Students are told to submit their scholarship essay so that the management can get a better idea of why the student thinks he is eligible for the scholarship.
To help out students with writing their scholarship essay in the best way, this article would provide students with tips and tricks to write a good scholarship essay. The first thing step in writing a decent scholarship essay is to write an introduction. The introduction would set the basis for the entire essay. The student must have the capability to use the words in such a way that it grabs the attention of the audience immediately. Another key aspect to include is the thesis statement. The thesis statement is considered to be the main message of the essay.
The middle paragraphs would focus on the goals and career aspirations. The student will have to describe what his goals and career aspirations are and why he has chosen that specific route. Students can also include their leadership traits, life-changing events, and even talk about their community as well in the essay. A key factor to note here is that students must talk about each of the aspects in detail. Merely writing simple facts will not work for the student.
To end the scholarship essay, a conclusion is a vital part of the essay. The conclusion usually focuses on summarising the entire paper in such a way that every point is covered, and the reader can get the core message of the essay. It is very important that no new information is added in the conclusion because this disrupts the entire essay. It could even lead to the student failing his entire scholarship essay. The scholarship essay should end with a strong line that would convince the reader to grant a scholarship to a student.
Apart from writing the content of the scholarship essay, the format is another area that must be considered. The academic style and format play a major role when making sure that scholarship essay gets accepted. The management of the academic institution will check if the student has followed the proper academic style and formatting of writing an essay or not. This could have a major impact on their decision. If the requirements are mentioned for writing the scholarship essay, then the student must follow the given requirement. However, if no requirements are given, the student should then opt for MLA, APA, or Chicago/Turabian. In writing a scholarship essay, there is no need for references as this is not needed. In case, the student has quoted someone else while writing the paper; then the citation must be made in the essay, as per the academic writing guidelines.
There are other various aspects that must be considered while writing a scholarship essay, which are:
- The student must know who he is writing the essay for. In this case, the reader is the management of his university. Therefore, he should use the tone and words in such a way that the paper is addressing the management of the university. He must not address the management as if he is addressing his colleagues. There should be respect in the tone of writing the essay.
- Although there are no strict criteria for writing a scholarship essay, and every student is free to use the pattern they like. However, it is preferred that the student shows his personality through his essay. There should be the impact of creativity, passion, and motivation to learn. The essay should be real and convincing in every way. The essay should be unique in such a way that it stands out from the rest of the applicants submitted.
- Experiences make the essay more personal. Therefore, the student must focus on writing one specific experience and revolve their entire essay around it. This way, the entire essay would remain focused and would not be seen as scattered everywhere.
- A mistake that many students do is writing their essay overnight. This is a MAJOR mistake that must be avoided at all costs. Aiming to get a scholarship requires working for it from day one of the university. Similarly, the essay should be written well in advance, say six months before the submission of the essay. When an essay is written well in advance, the student can include information from all ends. But if the student starts to write the essay overnight, he would write it haphazardly and miss out on key details.
- Lastly, before submitting the essay, the best thing to do is ask someone else to read the essay. When someone else reads the essay, he can point out a mistake that the student might not be able to look at. Therefore, getting someone else to read the essay would always work in favour of the student.